You are looking for a physiotherapist with expertise in running or knee pain? Look no further! Book online here (services in English & French).
Jean-Francois Esculier (J-F) graduated from the University of Ottawa's physiotherapy program in 2009. Since completing his training as a Physiotherapist, he has been working as a clinician with a caseload that includes mostly running-related as well as other sports injuries, which led him to complete a Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy from Sport Physiotherapy Canada. J-F's interest for combining research with clinical practice also led him to pursue graduate studies (Masters & Ph.D.) at Laval University in Quebec City, where he focused on knee pain in runners (rehabilitation, biomechanics, footwear), and a post-doctoral fellowship at UBC where he studied running and knee osteoarthritis.
He is currently practicing at MoveMed Physiotherapy, his mobile and virtual clinic in Kelowna, BC. He is also a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at UBC. J-F has been teaching to health professionals internationally with The Running Clinic since 2011. He is passionate about improving the profession of physiotherapy through clinical research projects and knowledge transfer to other physiotherapists and sports medicine practitioners.
Peer-reviewed scientific articles
33. Esculier JF, Maggs K, Maggs E, Dubois B. (In Press). A contemporary approach to patellofemoral pain in runners. Journal of Athletic Training.
32. Dhillon GK, Hunt MA, Reid, AL, Esculier JF. (2020). What are the perceptions of runners and healthcare professionals on footwear and running injury risk? BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine. 6(1):e000767.
31. Graffos A, Mohtajeb M, Mony M, Esculier JF, Cibere J, Wilson D, Zhang C, Zakani S, Hunt MA. (2020). Biomechanics during cross-body lunging in individuals with and without painful cam and/or pincer morphology. Clinical Biomechanics. 76:105030.
30. Van Cant J, Dawe-Coz A, Aoun E, Esculier JF. (2020). Quadriceps strengthening with blood flow restriction for the rehabilitation of patients with knee conditions: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. 33(4):529-544.
29. Kobsar D, Charlton JM, Tse C, Esculier JF, Graffos A, Krowchuk NM, Thatcher D, Hunt MA. (2020). Validity and Reliability of Wearable Inertial Sensors in Healthy Adult Walking: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation. 17(1):62.
28. Pairot de Fontenay B, Roy JS, Dubois B, Bouyer L, Esculier JF. (2020). Validating commercial wearable sensors for running gait parameters estimation. IEEE Sensors Journal. 20(14):7783-7791.
27. Hunt MA, Charlton JM, Esculier JF. (2020). Osteoarthritis year in review 2019: mechanics. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 28(3):267-274.
26. Dubois B, Esculier JF. (2019). Soft tissue injuries simply need PEACE & LOVE. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 54(2):72-73.
25. Esculier JF, Jarrett M, Krowchuk NM, Rauscher A, Wiggermann V, Taunton JE, Wilson D, Gatti A, Hunt MA. (2019). Cartilage recovery in runners with and without knee osteoarthritis: A pilot study. The Knee. 26(5):1049-1057.
24. Hollman H, Ezzat A, Esculier JF, Gustafson P, Scott A. (2019). Effects of tailored advice on injury prevention knowledge and behaviours in runners: secondary analysis from a randomised controlled trial. Physical Therapy in Sport. 37:164-170.
23. Esculier JF, Barton CJ, Whiteley R, Napier C. (2018). Involving clinicians in sports medicine and physiotherapy research – “Design thinking” to help bridge gaps between practice and evidence. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 52(24):1550-1551.
22. Esculier JF, Krowchuk NM, Li LC, Taunton JE, Hunt MA. (2018). What are the perceptions about running and knee joint health among the public and healthcare practitioners in Canada? PLoS One. 13(10):e0204872.
21. Esculier JF, Dubois B, Roy JS. (2018). Response to: ‘Optimising the efficacy of gait retraining’. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 53(9):530-531.
20. Esculier JF, Silvini T, Bouyer LJ, Roy JS. (2018). Video-based assessment of foot strike pattern and step rate is valid and reliable in runners with patellofemoral pain. Physical Therapy in Sport. 29:108-112.
19. Barton CJ, Esculier JF. (2018). Letter to the Editor: No evidence exists to support manual therapy in physical therapy practice for patellofemoral pain. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 48(7):598-599.
18. Pairot de Fontenay B, Esculier JF, Bouyer LB, Roy JS. (2018). Hip kinematics during functional tasks in females with patellofemoral pain: Modification following rehabilitation and correlation with clinical improvement. Physical Therapy in Sport. 32:7-14.
17. Esculier JF, Bouyer LJ, Dubois B, Frémont P, Moore L, McFadyen BJ, Roy JS. (2018). Is combining gait retraining or an exercise programme with education better than education alone in treating runners with patellofemoral pain? A randomised clinical trial. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 52(10):659-666.
16. Esculier JF, Bouyer LJ, Dubois B, Leblond J, Brisson M, Chau L, Roy JS. (2018). Predictors of clinical success in runners with patellofemoral pain: secondary analyses of a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 21(8):777-782.
15. Esculier JF, Willy RW, Baggaley M, Meardon SA, Willson JD. (2017). Sex-specific kinetic and kinematic indicators of medial tibiofemoral force during walking and running. The Knee. 24(6):1317-1325.
14. Napier C, Esculier JF, Hunt MA. (2017). Gait retraining: out of the lab and onto the streets with the benefit of wearables. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 51(23):1642-1643.
13. Esculier JF, Dubois B, Bouyer LJ, McFadyen BJ, Roy JS. (2017). Footwear characteristics are related to running mechanics in runners with patellofemoral pain. Gait & Posture. 6(54):144-147.
12. Esculier JF, Bouyer LJ, Dubois B, Frémont P, Moore L, McFadyen BJ, Roy JS. (2017). Infographic: treating runners with patellofemoral pain: appropriate education is key. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 52(13):824-825.
11. Esculier JF, Bouyer LJ, Frémont P, Moore L, Roy JS. (2016). Effects of rehabilitation approaches for runners with patellofemoral pain: Protocol of a randomised clinical trial addressing specific underlying mechanisms. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 17(1):5.
10. Crossley KM, Stefanik JJ, Selfe J, Collins NJ, Davis IS, Powers CM, McConnell J, Vicenzino B, Bazett-Jones DM, Esculier JF, Morrissey D, Callaghan MJ. (2016). 2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outcome measures. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 50(14):839-843.
9. Esculier JF, Roy JS, Bouyer LJ. (2016). The effects of a multimodal rehabilitation program on symptoms and ground reaction forces in runners with patellofemoral pain. Journal Sport Rehabilitation. 25(1):23-30.
8. Esculier JF, Dubois B, Dionne CE, Leblond J, Roy JS. (2015). A consensus definition and rating scale for minimalist shoes. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 8:42.
7. Esculier JF, Roy JS, Bouyer LJ. (2015). Lower limb control and strength in runners with and without patellofemoral pain syndrome. Gait & Posture. 41(3):813-819.
6. Dubois B, Esculier JF, Moore L, Richards C, Frémont P. (2015). Effects of minimalist and traditional running shoes on injury rates: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Footwear Science. 7(3):159-164.
5. Esculier JF, Vaudrin J, Tremblay LE. (2014). Corticomotor excitability in Parkinson's disease during observation, imagery and imitation of action: effects of rehabilitation using Wii Fit and comparison to healthy controls. Journal of Parkinson's disease. 4(1):67-75.
4. Roy JS, Esculier JF, Maltais DB. (2013). Translation, cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the French version of the Knee Outcome Survey-Activities of Daily Living Scale. Clinical Rehabilitation. 28(6):614-623.
3. Esculier JF, Roy JS, Bouyer LJ. (2013). Psychometric evidence of self-reported questionnaires for patellofemoral pain syndrome: a systematic review. Disability and Rehabilitation. 35(26):2181-2190.
2. Esculier JF, Vaudrin J, Bériault P, Gagnon K, Tremblay LE. (2012). Home-based balance training programme using Wii Fit with balance board for Parkinsons's disease: a pilot study. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 44(2):144-150.
1. Roy JS, Esculier JF. (2011). Psychometric evidence for clinical outcome measures assessing shoulder disorders. Physical Therapy Reviews. 16(5):331-346.