In 1927, a group of seven women formed the Vancouver Division of the British Columbia Branch of the "Canadian Association of Massage and Remedial Gymnasts" which became known in 1934 as the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA). The B.C. Branch of the CPA was incorporated in 1945 and was renamed the Physiotherapy Association of B.C. (PABC) in 1978.
In 1944 Br. H. Milburn, a renowned medicine doctor at St. Paul's Hospital, suggested that the British Columbia Branch of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) should apply to be registered under the Societies Act in the province. This registration would enable the branch to have an official voice as a legally constituted organization. In January of 1945, the official application was filed and in February the first meeting of the newly incorporated B.C. branch took place. In October 1945 it was recorded that the application was approved which was a culmination of the work of the Branch members. Under the terms of the act, the Provincial Secretary appointed three members to the first Board of the 'Association of Physiotherapists and Massage Practitioners of BC'. Mrs. D. Archer, Mrs. Astell and Ms. Liberty became the first of many members who would closely monitor the interests of chartered physiotherapists in the province.