Urinary incontinence is an important health issue that has traditionally not been well managed. One in four women and one in nine men are affected by urinary incontinence. Ongoing research into core dynamics recognizes the pelvic floor as an important component of core retraining, and yet, accurate assessment and treatment techniques of the pelvic floor are lacking in clinical practice. Hypertonicity vs. hypotonicity of these muscles needs to be addressed through palpatory assessment of the pelvic floor. The Cochrane Collaboration (2010) has demonstrated that internal pelvic floor muscle training has Level 1 evidence in treating urinary incontinence. Physiotherapists need to go beyond teaching externally driven Kegels in order to effectively rehabilitate the pelvic floor.
Support documents, including assessment forms, patient handouts and audio files are included in the course cost (see resources tab).
Through completion of this course, participants will:
- Acquire knowledge of anatomy and physiology of micturition, as well as pertinent pathologies for male and female incontinence
- Acquire knowledge of anatomy and physiology of pelvic organ prolapse
- Acquire knowledge of the urodynamic and urological investigation procedures, as well as medical and surgical treatments for urinary incontinence
- Perform an evaluation of the pelvic floor rectally and vaginally
- Establish and perform a treatment plan and its progression for incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse
- Use manual and behavioural techniques, biofeedback and electrical stimulation to treat male and female urinary incontinence, as well as pelvic organ prolapse
This course is open to physiotherapists, physiotherapy students, naturopathic doctors, registered nurses, midwives and medical doctors. Labs include internal palpation.
Registration begins on the first day 15 minutes prior to the start time.
This course is both lecture format and practical labs with vaginal and rectal palpation
The Non-internal Introductory Pelvic Floor Course is not a prerequisite to register for this course
CBI Health Centre- Abbotsford
34194 Marshall Rd #100
Abbotsford BC V2S 5E4