- This course will provide a basic understanding of evaluation and treatment of common temporomandibular disorders and orofacial pain.
- Course participants will learn the anatomy and biomechanics of the TMJs, the neurological input and overlap in the craniofacial region, referred pain patterns, and diagnostic categories with associated clinical presentation.
- Comprehensive TMJ assessment and treatment techniques with attention to cervical spine influences will be presented, followed by practical sessions.
- Management for complex clinical presentations will be discussed, including psychosocial issues and chronic pain.
- Oral appliance therapy, bruxism, sleep, aural symptoms, multidisciplinary management and surgical interventions will also be discussed.
No prerequisites required other than being a registered Physiotherapist.
Maria Zerjav, BSc(H)Psych, BScPT, CCTT, CODN
Maria has been practicing physiotherapy since 1987, when she graduated from Dalhousie University. Over the past 22 years she has focused her area of clinical practice on the treatment of patients with TMJ disorders (TMD). In 2010 she was certified by the Physical Therapy Board of Craniofacial and Cervical Therapeutics (PTBCCT) as a Certified Cervical and Temporomandibular Therapist (CCTT). She has worked with Oral Medicine Specialists, ENTs, audiologists, speech language pathologists, dentists and physicians in the treatment of TMD. She has presented lectures to UBC physiotherapy students, physiotherapists, dentists, dental hygienists, ENTs and plastic surgeons regarding TMJ disorders. She is a member of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain and has attended their annual conferences since 2004. In 2016 Maria completed advanced training in Facial Neuromuscular Retraining (Facial Palsy/Bell’s Palsy). Maria has worked in private practice since 1990 and is owner of Westside Physiotherapy and Hand Clinic.
Register now as space is limited! PABC members benefit from significant savings on courses. Not a member yet? Explore membership.
PABC Course Cancellation Policy
For Courses, refunds will be given for cancellation requests received at least two weeks prior to the event, less a $100 cancellation fee.
No refunds will be issued less than two weeks prior to the event.
With thanks to our Course Sponsor:
UBC Friedman Building
2177 Wesbrook Mall - Lab 304
Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3